Monday, April 9, 2012

Product Review: Red Bull Total Zero

Okay, okay, so this goes against everything to do with minimal/natural living... but sometimes a girl (or guy) needs a pick-me-up, right? Ever since I've cut out soda, I've been allowing myself to have "cheat" days with Sugar-Free Red Bulls. My boyfriend is an energy drink aficionado, but Red Bull is the only thing I'll touch anymore! So, when I saw a can of Red Bull that wasn't in a shade of blue, I was totally intrigued... and naturally, I bought it immediately. So much for rationing my meal plan!


Red Bull already has a Sugar-Free variety, so what's different about Total Zero? Shockingly, it isn't the calories: both boast 10 calories/12 fluid ounces. Sure, we'd expect something called Total Zero to have zero calories--that's how it was advertised-- but ten is no big deal, right?



What does the name refer to, then? Total Zero is different because it has zero grams of sugar (and, by extension, zero grams of carbohydrates). It's a sign that low-carb diets like Atkins are becoming all the rage again, about eight years after they last faded out. Whether the difference is due to the sugar or a creative choice, the taste of Total Zero is definitely different than its Sugar Free counterpart. Total Zero is significantly less tangy, and the amber drink taste has an almost peach-like aftertaste. It's definitely smooth, but it will remind you more of a soda than those tart-but-sweet low-cal flavors that you find in other energy drinks.

Summary: Red Bull Total Zero is Red Bull without the afterbite. Sweetened with aspartame, sucralose and acesulfame K, it still has the 10 cal/12 fl.oz as its Sugar Free counterpart. It's caffeine content is similar as well, with 114 mg/12 fl. oz. Unless you're on a low carb diet, this drink isn't worth buying into; if you are on a low carb diet, however, this no-carb energy drink is totally worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment