Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Starbucks Refreshers


So, since I've already admitted my vice... I may as well indulge you with more details! Yes, caffeine is my drug of choice. While there's nothing better than a cup of coffee, my dorm room digs lack a machine to make it with. Sure, I've spent plenty of my meal plan at our on-campus Starbucks or Buffalo Springs, but that isn't always an option for early morning study time.

Honestly, I was getting a little bored of Red Bull all of the time (have you checked out my review of Red Bull Total Zero?) and wanted to try something new. When I saw the can of Starbucks Refreshers in Raspberry Pomegranate on the shelf at the grocery, I grabbed it immediately.


From the first sip, I knew I had a new favorite energy drink indulgence. The tangy pomegranate is delicious but not overpowering, nicely muted by the sweet taste of raspberry. The latter fruit definitely has a stronger presence, and at times it feels like you're sipping sparkling fresh raspberry juice. The drink is only lightly carbonated; this sets it apart from other energy drinks, which boast excessive carbonation or none at all.
The energy kick from this product comes from a unique source: green coffee extract! So what, exactly, is green coffee extract? According to Starbucks's website:
"Freshly harvested green coffee beans are typically heated and roasted to bring out the signature dark colors and bold flavors coffee is famous for. But now, Starbucks is using a patented new process to pull the naturally occurring caffeine and other good stuff from 100% green Arabica coffee beans before they are roasted. The result is green coffee extract - all of the natural energy from coffee, but with none of the coffee flavor."

The result? Not the taste of coffee, don't worry! The drink boasts 50 mg of Panax Ginseng, 25% juice (from concentrate), 60 calories, and 100% Vitamin C. It's also fortified with B vitamins, giving you 25% Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B, and Niacin.

No, you probably shouldn't be drinking this every day-- coffee is still the healthiest way to get your caffeine fix. For a delicious treat on the go, however, this drink is sweeter than its energy drink counterparts and lacks the tangy aftertaste most of them have. Try it once-- it comes in Raspberry Pomegranate, Orange Melon, and Strawberry Lemonade, and every flavor is pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment